Kumar Mangalam Birla Biography: Kumar Mangalam Birla is a proficient industrialist from India. “Aditya Birla Group” is one of the reputed industrial group of India. Kumar Mangalam Birla is the President of this group. Talking about the business of this group, Aditya Birla Retail, Grasim, Hindalco, UltraTech Cement, Aditya Birla Nuvo, Idea Cellular, Aditya Birla Minix etc. are the companies that come under the Birla Group. Apart from his business group companies, Kumar Mangalam Birla has held several important and responsible positions on various regulatory and business boards in India. Let us tell you the biography of this Mastermind Businessman.
Kumar Mangalam Birla was born on June 14, 1967. His place of birth is said to be Mumbai, Maharashtra. She is the fourth generation of the Birla family. His childhood was spent in Kolkata and Mumbai. His father’s name is Aditya Vikram Birla. And his mother’s name is Rajshree Birla. Kumar Mangalam Birla also has a sister named “Vasavadatta Bajaj”.
After completing his primary education, Kumar Mangalam Birla obtained a bachelor’s degree in commerce from “Bombay University”. After that, he passed the Chartered Accountancy examination from the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India, and then became a Chartered Accountant (CA). Kumar Mangalam Birla then did his MBA from London Business School. (MBA) degree. (He is also an honorary member of this business school)
Kumar Mangalam Birla’s father “Aditya Birla” died in the year 1995. After that he was appointed as the chairman of “Birla Group”. At the age of 28, it was not easy to handle the responsibility of such a big business. Initially there were many question marks on his ability. But this capable industrialist faced each and every challenge firmly.
Kumar Mangalam Birla took the already running Textile, Fertilizer, Cement and Aluminum business to new heights but, along with it, Software, Telecom and BPO. Like business areas also arrived.
This virtuous industrialist did not limit his business to the country of India. Gradually, he strengthened the roots of his business in 40 countries. Birla Group mainly does business outside India in countries like Philippines, Egypt, Canada, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, China and Australia. Soon this young industrialist took the turnover of Birla Group from US$ 2 billion to US$ 40 billion. Birla Group currently employs about 1,30,000 people. About 60% of the total income of this group comes from abroad.
In addition to his own successful personal business, Birla also became the chairman of the advisory committee set up by the Ministry of Corporate Affairs in 2006 and 2007. He became a member of the Consultative Committee on Trade and Industry constituted by the Prime Minister. Thereafter he was also the Chairman of the Board of Trade constituted by the Minister of Industry and Commerce of India and a member of the Central Board of Directors of the Reserve Bank of India.
In the year 2019, the net worth of Kumar Mangalam Birla (Aditya Birla Group) rose to US$9.7 billion ($970 million).
Kumar Mangalam Birla’s wife’s name is “Neerja Birla”. They were married on May 17, 1989. This couple has three children. His son’s name is “Aryaman Vikram Birla”. And one of his daughter’s name is Ananya Birla (music artist) and the other daughter’s name is Advaitesha Birla.
Awards & Honors
- In the year 1998, Rotary Club was awarded “Award for Vocational Excellence”.
- The report of Kumar Mangalam Birla became the foundation stone of Corporate Governance Practices in India.
- In the year 1998, Kumar Mangalam Birla was appointed as a public candidate on the Governing Board of the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) by the Ministry of Finance.
- In the year 2000, the Bombay Management Association honored him as “The Management Man of the Year 1999-2000”.
- In the year 2001, Kumar Mangalam Birla was awarded “The Giants International Award” for “commercial excellence and his contribution to the industry”.
- Ranked among the first five Asian business leaders for the “Asian Business Leader Awards 2002” sponsored by CNBC/INSEAD in the year 2002.
- Kumar Mangalam Birla was awarded “Businessman of the Year” by Janus India in the year 2003.
- In the year 2003, Birla was honored with the “Young Achiever Award” of the Indo-American Society.
- In the year 2003, he received “The Lakshya – Business Visionary Award”. He got this honor from The National Institute of Industrial Engineering (NITIE).
- In 2003, Birla was named “The Business Leader of the Year” by the Economic Times Awards.
- In the year 2004, the All India Management Association honored Kumar Mangalam Birla with an “Honorary Fellowship”.
- In the year 2004, “Banaras Hindu University” awarded Birla with D. Litt (Honoris Kauja) degree. He received this award as a result of his exemplary contribution to the Indian industry.
- In 2004, he was selected as one of the “Young Global Leaders” by the World Economic Forum Davos.
- PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry in the year 2005 Awarded “Udyog Ratna” to Birla.
- In 2005, he was nominated by Business Today for “Best Youth Performance in the CEO Category”.
- In 2005, Kumar Mangalam Birla was awarded the Ernst and Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award.
Kumar Mangalam Birla believes in Hinduism. He is fond of reading current letters and books. Apart from this, he also likes rifle shooting. His favorite color is dark brown “Dark Brown”. This industrialist also has his own private jet plane “Private Jet Gulf Stream” (G100) and Private Jet Cessna Citation. Birla does not like to smoke. His eyes and hair are black in color.
The shape and composition of the government is important. We have not reached the point where politics and economics are completely separate from each other.
I don’t think any government will back down on the matter on the reform process. There is no government that would not encourage people to come and build in India.
I was not interested in becoming a CA. My father used to think that this career option would be right for me. At that time, I did not have the courage to tell my mind. But today I deeply appreciate that step of my father.
Jack Welch is the personality I have always admired. In India, Narayana Murthy is someone for whom I have great respect and admiration.