Nandan Nilekani Biography
Orissa times/Nandan Nilekani Biography : Nandan Nilekani is an Indian industrialist, bureaucrat and politician. He is the co-founder of Infosys Company. Along with this, he has also been the non-executive chairman of this company and the chairman of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI- Unique Identification Authority of India).
After a bright career in Infosys company, he joined the Technology Committee of India TAGUP. After that Nandan Nilekani joined the Indian National Congress. But at the present time (year 2019) he is not active in politics. He was also given the “Padma Bhushan” award from the Government of India for his exceptional contribution to the industry. Let’s talk about the biography of this multi-talented person.
Nandan Nilekani was born on June 2, 1955. His place of birth is said to be Bangalore, Karnataka (India). His father’s name is Mohanrao Nilekani. And mother’s name is Durga Nilekani. This family belongs to Kaunkani Gaur Saraswat Brahmin family. Nandan Nilekani’s elder brother works in a nuclear power institute in America. And his father has worked as General Manager of Minerva and Mysore Mills.
Nandan Nilekani did his early studies from Bishop Cotton Boys School and St. Joseph’s High School Dharwad, Karnataka from PU College Dharwad. and holds a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, (Mumbai).
Information Technology – He started his career in the year 1978 from Patni Computer Systems based in Mumbai. There, NR Narayanmurti interviewed him. After that Nandan, Narayana Murthy and other five other members left Patni Computer Systems to start Infosys Company. In the year 2002, Nandan became the Chief Executive Officer of Infosys Company.
After that he remained the CEO of the company till the year 2007. He then relinquished this position for his co-worker Kris Gopalakrishnan. Then he became the co-chairman of the board of directors of Infosys company. When Nandan Nilekani was reinstated as CEO in the company, Infosys’ topline grew six times in the time frame (from 2002 to 2007). Talking about the figures, the company had crossed the figure of 3 billion dollars ($3 Billion Dollar).
Nandan once again returned to infosys in the year 2017. As soon as he came to the post, he again shifted the California Power Center to the Bangalore Headquarters. This was followed by Jeffrey Lehmann and John Etchmannadi (directors), R. Seshasay (a Chairman and Board Director), Sikka (Executive Vice President and Director), Ravi Venkatesan (a Co-Chairman) all resigned from their respective positions.
- Left the company Infosys in the year 2009 to become the Chairman of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).
- He was invited by former Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh to join the UIDAI Institute under cabinet ranking.
- The credit for implementing the Multipurpose National Identity (UID Card) project under UIDAI Institute in India goes to Nandan Nilekani.
- With the UID card, the holder gets a unique number identification. Which facilitated efficient delivery of welfare services.
- This scheme helped in making data of the population of the whole country. And when the card holder’s data and identification method was bio-metric, the work became possible with accuracy.
- He developed Aadhaar. This is an Indian Biometric ID System.
- In the year 2016, World Bank Chief Economist Paul Romer called the Aadhar ID system the most sophisticated program in the world.
- In the year 2017, 1.14 billion Indian citizens got Aadhar ID.
- The Aadhaar service was also severely criticized for violating the confidentiality of the general and personal information of the people of India.
Nandan has also been the President of the Indian Council of Economic Research (ICRIER) and NCAER. And he is a member of the Board of the Indian Council of Research.
He has also been on many advisory boards of the world. Along with this, he has been an advisor to the World Economic Forum Foundation and the Bombay Heritage Foundation Fund.
John Stuart on a daily show to promote his book “The Imagining India: The Idea of a Renewing Nation”.
In the year 2019, at a TED conference, he expressed his precious thoughts on the future of India.
Nandan Nilekani had joined the Indian National Congress Party in the month of March 2014. He contested the Lok Sabha elections from the South constituency of Bangalore. In this election he lost to Bharatiya Janata Party candidate Ananth Kumar by 2,28,575 votes.
After this, he joined a survey committee in the year 2016 to find out how people living in India can use Digital Payment service more and more. Quoting news reports from that year, he was the richest candidate in the 2014 Lok Sabha elections with declared assets of Rs 7,710 crore in his affidavit filed before the Election Commission.
Nandan Nilekani is married to Rohini Nilekani. Both of them met at IIT Institute. This couple has total two children. In which the son’s name is Nihar. And the daughter’s name is Janhvi. (Both of them graduated from Yale University. degree up to The primary language of all these is Konkani. Apart from this, they have knowledge of Hindi, English, Marathi and Kannada languages.
Awards & Achievement
- In the year 2004, he was named “Corporate Citizen of the Year” at the Asia Business Leaders Award organized by CNBC.
- In the year 2005 received the “Joseph Schumpeter Prize” for innovative services in economy, economic science and politics.
- In January 2006, Nandan Nilekani became one of the youngest entrepreneurs to join the Top 20 Global Leaders on the World Economic Forum (WEF) Foundation Board.
- In the year 2006, Nandan was named as “Businessman of the Year” by Forbes Asia.
- In the year 2006, he was given the “Padma Bhushan” award from the Government of India.
- In the year 2009, Time Magazine prepared the “Time 100” list of the most influential people in the world, in which Nandan Nilekani got a place.
- In the month of November 2009, the “Legend in Leadership Award” was given by Yale University. He became the first Indian to receive this honor.
- In the year 2011, on May 31, the Rotman School of Management at the University of Toronto awarded the degree of “Doctor of Law”.
- Received “Transformational Idea of the Year” award by NDTV Indian of the Year in the year 2011.
- In the year 2017, India Today magazine ranked him 12th among the 50 most powerful people in that year’s list.
Received the E&Y CNBC Life Time Achievement Award in the year 2017. Apart from this, honored with “Business Leader Award” from TV18 for outstanding contribution to the Indian economy.
As of the quarter ended March 2018, the Nilekani family’s total stake in Infosys is estimated at 31 per cent.
Slowly your thoughts turn into ideology. After that they take the form of policies. And then it becomes action. Making the lives of millions of Indians better is my main goal of entering politics. Mahatma Gandhi believed in villages. The British used to rule from cities in India.
Therefore, Jawaharlal Nehru considered New Delhi to be a non-Indian city. At the time of India’s independence, the entrepreneurial class was counted among the bad people. People who take advantage of the common people or use them. Politics is the biggest lever of change in India. The progress of the country and the progress of the society will be decided by this parameter. All my assets are transparent. I am proud of this And I didn’t enter politics to make money.